Netstar Australia Pty Ltd A.C.N. 091 898 547/ABN 30 091 898 547 (referred to in this policy as our, us, we and Netstar) are committed to protecting and maintaining your personal privacy. We are bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act). The APPs are designed to protect the confidentiality of the information and the privacy of individuals by regulating the way personal information is collected, used, disclosed and managed.
We respect your privacy. This policy sets out our practices and approach to the respectful handling of your personal information. In order to serve you better and understand your needs and interests, Netstar collects, exports and uses some of your information. For example, when you order products or services, request information, subscribe to marketing, enter competitions or participate in surveys we may ask you to provide personal information to complete these transactions. The types of personal information you provide to us on these pages may include contact information such as your name, address, telephone number, and email address; financial information such as your credit card number; and other unique information.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Personal Information (PI) is any information about an individual from which their identity can be ascertained (such as name, email address, or telephone number). You, or someone acting on your behalf, may provide PI to us when you interact with us online and offline.
- we may gather such things as name, physical address, email address and phone number when you contact or communicate with us;
- we may gather information such as the products and services you purchase, license, download or register, as well as financial information such as credit card numbers when you engage in transactions with us;
- certain products and services you license, purchase or download from Netstar may connect and transmit telemetry and system/product data to Netstar (or its authorised agents). This data may include, but is not limited to, fleet data, vehicle speed and vehicle location, and historical vehicle journeys/location;
- we may gather user preferences, product interests, industry focus, community choices and other customer profile information when you register for an online account, subscribe to a newsletter, participate in an event, program or promotion, or click on a URL.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
The information Netstar collects to understand your needs and interests helps us deliver a consistent and personalised experience. For example, Netstar may use your information to
- assist you in completing a transaction or order;
- prevent and detect fraud or other malicious activity;
- process, fulfil and follow up on transactions and requests for products, services, support, training and information;
- create and maintain an account and register products and solutions;
- communicate with you about products and services;
- provide service and support;
- update you on new services and benefits;
- provide personalised promotional offers;
- select content to be communicated to you;
- improve or personalise our website; and
- allow you to participate in contests and surveys.
We will give you the opportunity to choose your privacy preferences regarding the communications we send via post or email.
Credit card information is used only for payment processing and fraud prevention. Credit card information and other sensitive personal information required to process payments is not used for any other purpose by our financial services providers or Netstar and will not be kept longer than necessary for providing the services.
We may also use your personal information for other purposes to which you have consented or where authorised or required by law.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
Netstar retains service providers and suppliers to assist us to deliver products, services and customer solutions and with marketing and communication initiatives. These providers and suppliers include, for example, credit card processors, providers of customer support, email service providers, automated data processors, and shipping agents who are obliged to handle customer information according to applicable privacy laws. Suppliers and service providers are required by us to keep confidential the information received on behalf of Netstar and may not use it for any purpose other than to carry out the services they are performing for Netstar.
We may also disclose your PI:
- to our related entities or subsidiaries to support business and marketing processes;
- to business partners with whom we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities;
- if necessary to respond to judicial process, valid government inquiry, or as otherwise required or authorised by law;
- where applicable, to credit reference, fraud prevention or business scoring agencies, or other credit scoring agencies;
- to debt collection agencies or other debt recovery organisations; or
- in the event that Netstar or any of its assets are acquired;
- to other third-parties for purposes you have allowed; or
- to other third parties with your consent.
COLLECTION OF CREDIT INFORMATION
If you are a customer and we give you credit, we may also collect credit information or credit eligibility information about you. Credit information and credit eligibility information are particular types of PI.
The credit information and credit eligibility information we may collect about you includes identification information, credit liability information, repayment history information, details of any request for your information that we receive from a credit provider, mortgage insurer or trade insurer, the type and the amount of credit sought, default information, payment information, court proceedings information, personal insolvency information, information about any serious credit infringement by you, information disclosed in reports obtained from credit reporting bodies, information from property searches and information provided by trade references.
We generally collect your credit information or credit eligibility information directly from you.
We may also collect credit information or credit eligibility information about you from third parties. For example, from any organisation with whom you have any dealings, credit reporting bodies, or from publicly maintained records.
The purpose for which we may collect, store, use and disclose credit information or credit eligibility information about you, is so we can assess whether to extend credit to you or to a customer (if you have given a personal guarantee in respect of that customer).
If permitted under the Privacy Act, we may disclose credit information or credit eligibility information about you to any organisation with whom you have any dealings, credit reporting bodies, creditors, other traders in the markets we trade in, our commercial customers, our suppliers and retailers of our products.
NOTICE AND CHOICE
Netstar gives you the choice of receiving a variety of information that complements our products and services. You can subscribe to receive certain product and service specific information and also choose to receive Netstar general communications. We give you a choice regarding delivery of Netstar general communications by post, email and telephone.
You can make or change your choices about receiving either subscription or general communications at the data collection point or by using other methods, which are listed in the following sections. This option does not apply to communications primarily for the purpose of administering order completion, contracts, support, product safety warnings, driver updates, or other administrative and transactional notices as the primary purpose of these communications is not promotional in nature.
- select the email “opt out” or “unsubscribe” link, or follow the opt-out instructions included in each subscription communication; or
- Write to the Netstar Privacy Officer, at Level 1, Unit 49, 2 Slough Avenue, Silverwater NSW 2128. Be sure to provide your name, email and postal address, and specific relevant information about the Netstar subscriptions that you no longer wish to receive. Please be aware that when you opt out of receiving certain subscription communications, it may affect the services you have chosen to receive from Netstar where accepting the communications is a condition of receiving the services.
KEEPING YOUR INFORMATION SECURE
We take all reasonable steps to keep secure any PI which we hold about you and to protect your PI from loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration. Any PI you provide to us is stored on secure servers.
We are not responsible or liable for the security of data sent via the internet.
PI, including PI obtained from our website, may be stored, disclosed, processed in or transferred outside of Australia from time to time, by us or by third party service providers. The countries in which the PI is received may not have data protection laws equivalent to those in force in Australia.
You acknowledge and agree to such international data and information transfers with respect to PI. APP 8.1 contained in Schedule 1 of the Privacy Act provides that if we disclose PI about an individual to an overseas recipient, then we must take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure the overseas recipient does not breach the APPs in relation to such information. An exception to this is if we obtain your consent. We intend to rely on this exception in the following way. Unless you notify us in writing to the contrary, you will be taken to have consented to the disclosure by us of personal information to overseas recipients on the basis that:
- APP 8.1 will not apply to such disclosure;
- the individual whose personal information is disclosed will not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act;
- the overseas recipient may not be subject to any privacy obligations or to any principles similar to the APPs;
- the individual may not be able to seek redress in the overseas jurisdiction; and
- the overseas recipient is subject to a foreign law that could compel the disclosure of PI to a third party, such as an overseas authority.
If at any time you want to know what PI we hold about you, you are welcome to request access to that information by contacting us, using the details listed below. However, in order to protect your privacy and security, we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you access or enabling you to make corrections of your personal information. We may charge a fee to cover the reasonable costs we incur in processing your request.
Our objective is to respond to any request to access personal information within a reasonable timeframe and no later than thirty (30) days. We will endeavour to inform you if this timeframe is not achievable.
We may also choose to deny your request for access where:
- the provision of access is likely to pose a serious threat to the safety of an individual or the public;
- the access impacts on the privacy of others;
- the request for access is frivolous or vexatious;
- there are existing or anticipated legal proceedings;
- such access can be denied under law or by a law enforcement agency; or
- granting access would impact on a commercially sensitive decision making process.
If we deny your request for access, we will let you know why.
QUALITY & CORRECTION
At all times we strive to ensure that the information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If at any time you believe the PI that we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, you should let us know. We will use all reasonable efforts to correct the information.
WEBSITE & COOKIES
To ensure we are meeting the needs and wants of our website users, and to develop our online services, we may collect aggregated information by using cookies or similar electronic tools.
We do not use this technology to access any PI of a user in our records and a user cannot be personally identified from a cookie.
As our business evolves, our business processes and policies will be reviewed and may be revised. We may change this policy at any time. We will notify you of any change to this policy via our website. Please check our website regularly. We may also notify you by other means, such as sending an email.
COMPLAINTS AND QUERIES
We are committed to constantly improving our procedures so that personal information is treated appropriately. If you have any queries about how we handle your personal information, or if you have a complaint about our information handling practices, you should contact us immediately.
If you feel that we have failed to deal with your personal information in accordance with this policy or in accordance with the APPs, please provide us with a written complaint so we assist you in resolving the issue to your satisfaction.
We will log your complaint and our privacy officer will within 48 hours of your complaint:
- listen to your concerns and grievances;
- discuss with you the ways in which we can remedy the situation; and
- put in place action plans to resolve your complaint and improve information handling as appropriate.
Our privacy officer will respond to your complaint within 10 days of receiving a complaint from you. If you are not satisfied with the decision, you can contact us to discuss your concerns. If the complaint remains unresolved, you have the option of notifying the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). Contact details can be found at the OAIC’s website: www.oaic.gov.au
If you require more detailed information about our information handling practices or if you have any concerns about our handling of your personal information, you can contact our privacy officer as follows:
By letter: Netstar Privacy Officer
Level 1, Unit 49
2 Slough Avenue
Silverwater NSW 2128
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By telephone: 1300 728 882