Netstar Australia always has safety and advocacy in mind, whether for our team or customers. We are always looking for ways to support our local community, and with the current climate we find ourselves in, safety has never been more critical. Understanding the importance of following Covid-19 guidelines, what happens when you, or someone you care for, are self-isolating in a domestic abuse situation?
Bringing awareness to this as recent statistics have shown a terrible increase in Domestic Violence cases, with the 1800-RESPECT line showing an 11% rise in the number of calls received and MensLine Australia showing a 15% increase, compared to this time last year.
Australian state governments are stepping up to the plate with increased funding to help support domestic violence services, with NSW and federal governments committing $21 million to this cause. The VIC government is also investing $40.2 million in crisis accommodation and specialist services.
Family and Domestic Violence Support:
If you or someone you know needs help and support for Domestic Violence, you can contact the below numbers or visit the websites for more information:
- 1800 Respect national helpline:
1800 737 732
- Women’s Crisis Line:
1800 811 811
- Men’s Referral Service:
1300 766 491
- Lifeline (24-hour crisis line):
- Relationships Australia:
1300 364 277
- NSW Domestic Violence Line:
1800 656 463
- Qld DV Connect Womensline:
1800 811 811
- Vic Safe Steps crisis response line:
1800 015 188
- ACT 24/7 Crisis Line:
(02) 6280 0900
- Tas Family Violence Counselling and Support Service:
1800 608 122
- SA Domestic Violence Crisis Line:
1800 800 098
- WA Women’s Domestic Violence 24h Helpline:
1800 007 339
- NT Domestic violence helpline:
1800 737 732
What can you do as a business?
There are plenty of amazing organisations and not-for-profits out there doing incredible work in this area. We encourage everyone to look into your local area on how your business can support these organisations, whether through volunteering, fundraising or donations.
- Drive social change to strengthen gender equality and stop violence against women
- Improved workplace culture, office safety and morale
- Increased knowledge and skills of staff to address violence against women
- Improved retention rates and lower staff turnover
- Risk mitigation
- Improved productivity
- Reduced absenteeism
- Improved reputation
- Become an employer of choice
You can also run initiatives within your business, like offering self-defence classes to your team members, which is also a great team-building activity. We at Netstar are committed to helping end violence against women and men.