COVID-19 has increased business for the transport industry. With more businesses shipping products directly to customers and increased demand for certain products; Remember when it was hard to get toilet paper? Increased business activity means more time on the road for drivers.
Over 46% of workers in the transport industry experience a mental health condition, and nearly one in five of them believe their work is to blame. For truck drivers under 39, suicide is the second leading cause of death.
But many drivers feel unable to express mental health concerns, with only 10 per cent of truck drivers seeking treatment for the signs of mental illness, such as feeling anxious, unhappy, or other subtle changes in feelings, thoughts and/or behaviour.
As some of our most valued customers, we at Netstar believe more should be done to support all Australians. As a supplier to the transport industry, we will strive to continue raising awareness and encourage everyone, especially truck drivers and those in the Transport & Logistics industry, to open up. Netstar appreciates everything truck drivers do for us, and we thank you.
Some things you can do:
- Fill your space with tokens to remind yourself of home
- Schedule time in your day to talk to your loved ones
- Take some time to build a playlist, pick out pre-made playlists, and find a podcast with new topics or topics you’re attracted to.
- Build a routine; scheduling time to exercise is a great way to ensure you find time to do it.
- Find a hobby to enjoy in your downtime, whether painting or puzzles, playing golf or playing with a pet.
- Get a good water bottle and lunch cooler; maintaining a healthy diet is vital to overall health.
- Spend 5 mins each day breathing and checking in with yourself.
- Use technology to manage your work and break times. Netstar’s EWD system is a great way to set reminders.
- Contact a loved one or a Mental Health hotline if you need help. There’s no shame in asking for help. Netstar firmly believes in breaking down the stigma surrounding Mental Health.
- Reach out to a mental health hotline if you’re struggling.
Truck drivers are the operational backbone of Australia — delivering essential supplies across enormous distances to often isolated locations. Mental Health can be challenging to discuss. If this article raises any issues for you, please see your GP or mental health practitioner. Beyond Blue provide information and support to help everyone in Australia achieve their best possible mental health. These crisis support services are also available 24/7:
- Lifeline – 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline – 1800 551 800
- MensLine Australia – 1300 789 978
- Suicide Call Back Service – 1300 659 467
- Beyond Blue – 1300 224 636
- Headspace – 1800 650 890
If there is anything Netstar can do to help you or your business, please reach out.
Netstar Australia prides itself on being a reliable telematics provider with over 20 years of experience offering solutions for consumers and businesses in all industries Australia-wide. With two established products, customers can enjoy peace of mind knowing they are getting accurate and reliable telematics data, helping to manage fleets and assets efficiently.
If you want more information, our friendly staff are always happy to answer any questions you may have, you can call us on 1300 728 882 or email us at email@example.com.
Sign up to our newsletter here to stay up to date with all our latest blog posts, product updates and industry solutions https://bit.ly/37Hxqhs